Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Montreal Day 4

My husband's conference started today, so now I'm on my own to do what want. I went back to Old Montreal with my camera, but since my feet already feel ready to fall off, I invested in a Metro pass. It was only $20 for the whole week, so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.



So I took the Metro to downtown then walked through Old Montreal. My first stop was the Historical Museum where they had a photography exhibit on Industrial Montreal. Unfortunately, they were closed Mondays. So I walked and took pictures, repeat as needed. I'd had a salad for dinner the night before and a croissant sandwich for breakfast, so I had a brownie sundae with cinnamon bun ice cream and caramel sauce at Ben & Jerrys. It was divine! This was a new flavor of ice cream for me, and I was not disappointed. I ate on the patio in the sun with my book, and life was good. It was 64 degrees F/18 C with a slight breeze, but the sunshine beckoned for people to bask in it, and a lot of people did.

I was pleasantly surprised to find an exhibition by a local wedding photographer, so I spent quite a while there getting a lot of ideas and inspiration. The other place that I'd planned to visit was the photography exhibition World Press Photo 2008 along with a showing by Montreal photographers. I decided to walk there via China Town. China town was full of fascinating little shops and restaurants, but I managed to restrain myself to a barbecue pork bun for snack and a couple of bananas for later.



World Press Photo 2008 was very interesting. There were first, second, and third place winners for both single pictures and multiple picture stories, in categories such as news, people in the news, daily life, portraits, sports action, sports features, arts & entertainment, and nature. The variety of style and technique was enormous. Some worked more for me than others, but all compelled a closer look. The Montreal photographers exhibit was equally interesting. Again the variety was impressive, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

That evening it was dinner with the guys again. I had a Thai chicken salad, yum! The guys kept talking and ordering more beer. It was very loud in the restaurant, and I don't think I could have followed the conversation even if I could hear it all. So I opted out and went down the street for a pastry and a cup of tea. The pastry I chose was called a doudou, and it did bear some resemblance to a turd tart. It turned out to be 3 spherical éclairs (covered in chocolate and filled with custard) on top of a chocolate ganache tart. I thought I'd died and gone to pastry heaven.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Wish I could have had some of that pastry with you and hung out for a cup of tea. Sounds fabulous!

I didn't do too bad tonight myself, though - I had some homemade peach pie with peaches from my friend Sarah's tree, and it was amazing :)!