Sunday, August 22, 2010

Blair's Trading Post

For more of the stories behind these pictures, please see my previous entry: Too Hot to Blog, Part 2.

The private collection at Blair's Trading post has to be the hidden treasure of Page, Arizona. The trading post itself looks like just another shop in a strip-mall, except it has a pawn-shop section in back. There were no signs advertising the collection, and they didn't charge admission, but the owner was happy to show us her father's treasures when we asked. Over the years, he'd kept the best of the things for which he traded. Not only were there beautiful and valuable pieces, but there was also a historical context.

The majority of the things were Navajo, who are well known for their weaving and jewelry, but there was also Hopi and Zuni.

I'm a fan of Native American baskets. I even took a workshop where I learned the basics, so someday when I have time, I hope to give it a try again. This magnificent basket was Hopi.

No comments: