Monday, May 16, 2011

Bremen, Days 1 and 2

Well this is embarrassing. I hadn't intended to stop blogging, I just didn't get around to it for a while. Luckily it would seem that the only person who noticed was my mother, and I have long since reassured here that I was still alive.

I'm currently in Bremen, Germany, where my husband is attending a conference. I tagged along hoping to have a bit of a vacation like I did last year in Budapest. Well my first impression of Bremen is that it's nowhere near as interesting as Budapest, but hopefully that will change as soon as it stops raining. In Budapest, it also rained the first days, so I went to a museum. I tried that here, but the museums are all closed on Mondays. I later found out that they are only in German anyhow, so it really didn't matter. The cathedrals were open, so I went there. The famous cathedral had a large exhibit, but the signs were only in German. The quiet cathedral mood was completely destroyed by the hammering of renovation work, so I didn't hang out very long. The church across the square, nearly as large but not as famous, had an exhibit about Tjernobyl, but again, it was only in German.



I was pleased to discovered that the town hall, a Unesco world heritage site, was open. I was promptly disappointed to find that the only open part was an art gallery. There was a sign saying there were guided tours every day, so I went to the nearby tourist office to buy my ticket. It turns out that this week they were only doing tours on Monday and Friday mornings. I was too late. I was surprised that the tourist office really didn't have any suggestions for what an English speaker might do in town on a rainy Monday. All she came up with was the science museum which is all the way across town, and I really wasn't in the mood. Thank goodness for the internet. I can at least look information on the places I visited today and get inspiration for where I might want to visit when it stops raining.

When Erik was done with his meeting, we went for a long walk in search for someplace to eat. We found plenty of restaurants, but nothing that inspired him. We eventually ended up at the same place where we ate yesterday. I had french onion soup and a chef salad. It hit the spot.

Yesterday we drove down from Sweden. There was a lot of construction on the autobahn, so Erik found the drive more tiring than fun. It took about 7 hours to get here. Erik promptly ran into some colleagues, so we went out to dinner with them. We went to a nice restaurant where I had steak and mushrooms. The flavors were delicious, but the meat was tough. At least it wasn't all that expensive for a fancy restaurant.

So if it keeps raining, I might get around to telling you what I've been up to the past couple of months. Otherwise, I've got plenty of exploring to do.

No comments: