Friday, October 7, 2011

Vacation in Småland

Well I'm embarrassed. I can't believe I haven't blogged here since August, and hardly at all over the whole summer. Besides working (which you can read about in my photography blog), I did have some fun too.

One of the highlights of the summer was a mini vacation in July where we went to Småland with our Danish friends. Småland is in Sweden about 3-4 hours north of where we live. While that might sound like it's quite close, the landscape is actually quite different. While we live in Skåne, Småland is both topographically and culturally Sweden proper.

Småland is hilly and dotted with lakes. Conifers dominate the forests, and even the architecture is different.


Since we were relatively late confirming our plans, and July is peak season, we had a hard time finding a house or cabin to rent, but as it turned out, the house we found was perfect! It was on a farm with cats, dogs, sheep and horses about 15 minutes away from the tourist areas. The scenery was gorgeous, and the landlord was really nice and helpful.

We didn't arrive at our destination until mid-afternoon, so we took it easy, getting settled in and going grocery shopping. The kids really enjoyed bottle feeding Pyrett the lamb. I think Erik and I were more amused by Frank, her rather grouchy companion.