Monday, May 4, 2009

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

...if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I spent my long weekend chucking wood. We have three years worth of logs that need to be cut up, so we started that on Friday. My husband chainsawed, and I stacked and chucked the cut up wood into a pile. We did this all day Friday, half the day Saturday, and all day Sunday. I think we did about 2/3 of the wood, but it's plenty to last both us and our mother-in-law through next winter.

On Saturday afternoon, my daughter's gymnastics class had a show. It was the gymnastics club's 75th anniversary, so they put on a huge show. Every class did a routine, including the old ladies from the water gymnastics class. Even the community youth marching band was there together with the baton twirlers. They seem to perform whenever there's something going on in this county. Unfortunately they're so stiff and awkward that it pretty much hurts to watch. Fortunately the gymnasts at least seemed to be having a good time. My daughter's class did a routine to music from High School Musical, and it was nice to see them having so much fun. I must be the worst mother in the world, but it didn't even occur to me to bring my camera to this event. My phone has a built-in camera, but I knew that it would be completely inadequate. So sorry, no pictures. We celebrated by going out for ice cream afterward.

Also noteworthy this weekend was the continued fantastic weather--sunny jeans and t-shirt weather. The beech trees have just sprouted their leaves, so everything's a brilliant light green, and the fruit trees are in full bloom. Our plum tree is especially impressive. It looks like there will be plenty of plums for plum jam this summer.

The wind died down on Sunday, so Sunday night we had a bonfire and grilled hot dogs. When we had finished eating and were listening to the birds singing in the forest, it started to rain. It's been about a month without significant rain, so we really needed it. The forecast shows intermittent rain for the rest of the week, but I hope the wonderful weather we had in April comes back soon.

1 comment:

Solvej said...

What a beautiful tree, yes it has been an absolutely wondeful April.