Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas is in the air

December began with the return of the cold weather. The temperature dropped literally overnight from the 40's (6-9 C) down to freezing. The days are still cloudy, but the nights have been clear and COLD. Today it really felt like it was going to snow. The Christmas decorations add to the mood.

Most importantly, I'm excited about going to Berlin. Tonight I leave for Denmark where I'll spend the night at my friend's house, then very early tomorrow, we'll take a bus to Berlin. We plan to do some sightseeing and shopping, but mostly relax and enjoy a mom's weekend out (kid and husband free).

I haven't been to Berlin since 1989, a few months before the Berlin Wall fell. Thus the 20th anniversary of the Wall coming down is a milestone for me too. In 1989 I was in college, traveling with two friends from high school. We did the Eurail thing, covering 9 countries in 5 weeks by train with everything in our backpacks. It was an amazing experience, and I learned a lot about myself. I'd love to reminisce, but now it's time to go! I'll probably be without internet until Monday.

1 comment:

Sophia Callmer said...

Hur var Berlin? Jag var där för 15 år sedan och vill gärna åka nu, hade varit spännande att se.