Monday, March 29, 2010

Molly the Media Phenomenon

In case I don't have enough wildlife around here to watch, I've become hooked on Molly the barn owl. That's right, my name is Lani, and I'm an owlcoholic.

Live Streaming by Ustream.TV

Through a friend in Florida, I found about about this web cam in an owl box in San Marcos (about 20 minutes from where we used to live in San Diego). I've learned a bit about barn owls, for example that they screech, but they don't hoot. The fourth chick hatched last night, and there's one egg left. The mother owl is Molly, the dad McGee, and the owlets Max, Pattison, Austin, and Wesley. The eggs hatch in the order they were laid, so there's a noticeable difference in size. How do I know all this? Because of the media phenomenon surrounding these owls which I fine more interesting than the owls themselves.

When I checked in last night, to discover I'd just missed the fourth hatching, there were nearly 18000 viewers. Now it's the middle of the night in California, so there are only 7000 viewers. More than 3 million people have tuned in to watch this owl. She's on facebook, twitter, and numerous blogs. You can chat about her in two different online forums. You can watch her on YouTube, on your iPhone, or download her voice as a ring signal. You can order a mug, mousepad, t-shirt, or e-book.

Reality TV--it's for the birds!

No comments: