Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring is here!

This morning I saw a herd of 9 elk (kronhjort) in the field by our house. They were rather thin, but relaxed and unhurried. A couple of them were trying out their partially grown antlers. Previously sightings this year had been of only one or two elk, and they did not linger.

On the doorstep this morning was a dead mole in a pool of blood. Good kitties, I guess. Whenever Teddy catches something, he likes to meow at the door until we come and praise him. Once we've told him what a good little predator he is, then he can eat it. Unfortunately he doesn't like to eat moles or shrews, so I have to carry those away.

For the first time this year, I went out without my overcoat, and even without it, I was a bit warm. I had to go into Lund today, and there everyone was in the spring mood. The cafes had already set out tables, and these were all full. In the shops, people were buying sunglasses. There were easily twice as many people out and about as there had been a few weeks or months ago. As is normal with Lund, these people wandered or bicycled through the streets without the slightest regard to cars. Since I was driving, this was really bad for my nerves, and I couldn't wait to get out of the city again.

In the backyard, small patches of snowdrops and crocuses are now blooming. Yipee! The flowers are so lovely here in the spring.

2 comments:

Maestro said...

See, I don't think I could every live in quite a rural area as you do... but then I will never see a herd of elk wander through my yard. That's awesome.

Lantis Lani said...

Without the wildlife, it would be even lonelier out here. It was quite an adjustment at first, but now I like not having human neighbors.