Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Budapest, day 6: Budapest by Night

While I've tagged along with my husband to these standardization conferences before (Montreal and Miami), this was the first time that I was invited to a couple of the dinners. The deal was that I'd take some pictures for them. Sure, I'll work for gourmet food!

On Tuesday, there was a big dinner for everyone with a buffet at the hotel. It was quite good. Of course I was particularly enchanted by the enormous selection of desserts, and I did my best to try as many as possible.

On Thursday night, there was a more exclusive dinner at a fancy restaurant. The main course was duck, which I'm not that thrilled with, but the salad was good, and the soup was excellent. It was a cream of wild mushroom soup with toasted hazelnuts. Normally I'm not that big on nuts, but this was a wonderful combination. The dessert was also very good--something I'm beginning to expect with Budapest.

After dinner, we were to have drinks on the terrace overlooking the city. Much to the restaurant manager's horror, someone had put up a fence blocking off the area with the view. There was a sign on the fence, but it didn't make any sense in English or Hungarian. After quickly downing their drinks, all the guys with cameras squeezed around the fence to take pictures. Seeing that they were still alive, I joined them.

No comments: