Saturday, June 19, 2010

The media frenzy reaches its culmination

After many months of hype, I had completely lost interest in the Royal Wedding, yet when it came down to it, I found myself in front of the TV anyhow. My daughter is obsessed with Crown-Princess Victoria because they share the name, and since she's with her grandmother today who's TV doesn't work, I agreed to record the Royal Wedding for her. I could have just started the recording and turned off the TV, but I found myself strangely entranced.

Victoria's dress was incredible, and she and her Daniel looked so happy. The gowns, the jewels, the tiaras... I didn't think I cared, but I was impressed. (Link to pictures--obviously not taken by me.)

They say 500,000 people packed the streets of Stockholm to catch a glimpse of the happy couple. Around the country, people were having wedding watching parties. I imagine they ate their official royal wedding chocolates, with the official royal wedding cake and official royal wedding pastries. They probably also burned the official royal wedding candles and cleaned up with the official royal wedding dish soap. Between the marketing and the media hype, it will be a relief when all this is over.

There's been a lot of debate in Sweden about the continued existence of the Royal Family. Is there a place for royalty in modern society? Clearly this wedding cost a fortune, and there's plenty of other causes worthy of the taxpayer's money. I think the monarchy is a lovely celebration of the nation's history, and they do well representing Sweden to the world. They also free up the prime minister to do his job instead of attending events all over the world.

In a perfect world, the royal family would be self supporting instead of taxpayer financed. They have a lot of properties, some of which generate some tourist income. I do wonder if it isn't time for them to put more effort into generating income and possibly sell some of their assets and invest the proceeds. But even if they don't, I do think Sweden benefits from the Royal Family, and that these benefits outweigh the costs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wedding is also in the news here.
I am glad you treated us to the wedding pastry. Now I can say I have particpated in an aspect of the celebration.
Mom