Friday, October 10, 2008

The horror

I was at the grocery store yesterday, and much to my horror, there was Christmas stuff for sale already. I really like that in the US there are two major holidays before Christmas to keep things from getting out of hand. October is usually dedicated to Halloween which is then celebrated on the 31st. In Sweden it seems to be the first Saturday in November, though I'm not quite clear on that (actually I think that's the feeling that a lot of people share). Anyway, Halloween keeps most of the marketing away from Christmas at least through October.

Then the fourth Thursday in November is Thanksgiving, and while all too many stores start with their holiday decorating and promotions earlier, it's not until after Thanksgiving that the Christmas season begins for real. A lot of stores open at 6 AM for the Friday after Thanksgiving, also known as the busiest shopping day of the year. There are tons of sales, but I've never found it worth braving the crowds.

I'm not even close to ready for the Christmas season yet. I'm not even ready for Halloween. In fact, I'm still hoping I'll wake up one morning and discover that it's still summer.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I saw Christmas stuff here in the stores in September. And Halloween stuff in August. UGH!

I'm definitely not ready for summer to be over. It was only about 3C (38F) for my workout this morning. I could see my breath and my hands got a little chilly even in my gloves :(. Pretty soon I'll have to switch to my ski gloves and put on long underwear under my workout clothes.