Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

I've been really busy the past week since photographing a wedding last Saturday, but here are some quick updates.

The weather for the wedding was fantastic! It was one of those sunny, crisp and cold fall days that just make the colors pop, with just enough clouds that we weren't squinting into the sun the whole time. The bride was a bit of a stress case and refused to put on a sweater or shawl for fear of wrinkling the dress, so there were a lot of pictures where she looked like she was freezing, but there were also plenty of good pictures too.

The next day, the weather was absolutely miserable with gale force wind and dumping rain. All week the weather has alternated between quite nice and downright awful with temperatures in the 40s F/4 to 8 C. It culminated yesterday when the drizzle went over to pelting cold wind-driven rain, to sleet, and eventually to snow! It took me totally by surprise. It was a wet snow with huge flakes (about an inch/2 cm in diameter) that melted quickly. After a couple hours, the snow started to stick to the ground, and it remained for several hours.


Last week my daughter totally shocked me by asking how babies are made. She's only 6! I thought I'd have a couple more years to think up an age-appropriate answer. I managed to dodge it this time, but I'm sure she'll ask again soon. Any advice?

For my friends and family on Flickr, I've added some pictures of my daughter dressed for a Halloween party. I love Halloween. In the states, it used to be my favorite holiday, and I went trick-or-treating even as an adult. I think the only year that I missed was when I was 12 and "too old" for that type of thing. Halloween is catching on slowly in Sweden now, and my daughter was invited to a couple of parties. So far it's mostly just a kid thing here, but I hope to eventually help spread the tradition.

This year my daughter and I carved pumpkins together with some friends. This was the first year that I let her carve herself, and she did just fine. This is a picture of our creations.

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Ah yes, the baby question. She probably doesn't really want to know all the gory details right now, so perhaps you could ask her some questions to figure out exactly what she does want to know. I had heard some good age-appropriate responses to this but now they are all escaping me. Sorry I don't have better advice. I guess I had better start thinking about this myself because Calvin is not far behind in age...