Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hong Kong: Day 12, Stanley Market

My mom wanted me to show Uncle L and Aunt A the portraits I’d taken of them, so we went by their place for breakfast. After that, we took the bus, the metro, and another bus to Stanley, a place that the guidebooks described as an old fishing village. I think a better term for it would be “former” fishing village, now it’s pretty much just a tourist destination with an attractive waterfront and a large market.

Mom and I spent much of the day perusing the market in search of bargains, and there were plenty to be found. We ate lunch at a real hole-in-the wall that we never would have found without the advice of a local, and despite the rather scary appearance, the food was both good and cheap.

It was a lot hotter in Hong Kong now than before we’d left for Guilin with highs around 80 F/27 C and very high humidity, so even though we hadn’t done anything really strenuous, we were quite worn out. It was about dinner time when we returned to our hotel, but we weren’t hungry. I stopped off at the local convenience store for some barbecue pork buns and yogurt, and it was nice not to have a heavy dinner.

No comments: