Monday, June 29, 2009

a sad day

My husband's grandmother died early this morning. She'd been suffering from Altzheimer's for several years, and it's been at least a year since she could understand who I was. About a month ago, she tried to walk without her walker and fell. She didn't break anything, but she hurt her back and has been on pain medication ever since. My husband went to visit her two weeks ago when she'd taken a turn for the worse. She wasn't eating much, just nutritional supplement "ice cream," but she could follow a conversation, and with a little help could recognize my husband as her grandson. She has a lot of grandchildren, but she doesn't see most of them very often. Three live in the US, and one is in Japan. I don't hear much about the others.

My mother-in-law called us this weekend to say that the end was near and grandmother was unconscious. We were out of town having a family outing (more on that later). I don't know if she expected us to come, but we did not.

My daughter was very sad to hear the news when she came home from school today, and cried for a few minutes. Then, like with the flip of a switch, she wanted to go to see if the neighbor kids were home.

No comments: