Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ärö, day 3

On request, I made American style pancakes for breakfast. We were horrified to discover that the maple syrup we bought had cranberry juice concentrate. I don't know how it did it, but it actually made something as sweet as maple syrup unbearably sour. After breakfast, we went to Voderup Klint, a cliff with a trail down to a rocky beach. The cliffs have had a tendency to collapse over the years, but instead of falling into the sea, they've created a sort of terraced look. The kids had a good time collecting rocks.

After that, we drove to the western tip of the island where they have a nice lighthouse. I took the kids up to the top where swallows were zooming around eating ladybugs. Heights don't bother me, but the swallows made it a rather dizzying experience. My friend thought it was blasphemous that a golf course had been created around the lighthouse, but it looked like a great place for a golf course to me. She took the kids down to the beach while I took some pictures, but the ladybug swarms were so thick that they turned back. Even the trail was red with ladybugs.

We went home for lunch then to the beach. We went to the most popular beach in Ärököbing where they have beach houses that the locals consider rather unique. (They have similar houses at some of the beaches around here too.) The weather was perfect, the water was warm, and the kids had a great time.

In the evening, we watched them harvesting rye fields near our house. My friend and her son thought this was quite interesting.

1 comment:

Solvej said...

The locals don't consider the beachhouses unique, the tourists that comes form all over Denmark does ;-) I would love to see the skåne beachhouses, do you have link for them?