Sunday, August 16, 2009

Vacation on Ärö, days 6, 7 & 8

On Thursday, we once again took it easy then took the kids to the beach. At home, we struggled between our desire to open all the doors and windows to let the fresh air in, and the need to keep the flies and wasps out. My friend's son had been stung by a wasp last summer when one flew up his sleeve, so he totally freaked out at the sight of a wasp. My daughter, the drama queen, wasn't much better. While we had only seen a few wasps at home on previous days, they were now out in force. With my trusty fly swatter, I became the official wasp killer too.

In the afternoon, my friend took us to a couple of cemeteries where she paid respects to her relatives. Her family goes back a long way there, and it was nice to hear their stories and share her memories.

On Friday, we drove out to Söby volde, the remains of anther old fortress. This one also had a great view. There were sheep grazing there, so we had to watch our step. At a table by the parking area sat a group of retired people, men and women, drinking beer. I thought this was noteworty because it was 10 AM. In Sweden, they probably would have been drinking coffee, regardless of the time of day.











Having driven pretty much everywhere on this island already, we took back roads to the beach. Ärö was a great place to drive around because everywhere we went there were cute farms, quaint little houses with beautiful gardens, and the beautiful bright greens, golds, and blues of the harvest season farmland and the sea.

This time we went back to the beach with the cute little houses, and while the weather was still sunny and warm, the water was cold! This made our last outing to the beach a short one, and while I'm not at all a beach person, I found this a little disappointing. We spent the afternoon cleaning and packing, then we went to the Chinese restaurant in Marstal for dinner. We had the buffet which was relatively simple and featured a lot of fried foods, but it was pretty good. I thought my daughter would love it, but she was in a mood where nothing was right. At least we didn't have to cook, and it was a lovely evening for a drive.









We got up early on Saturday morning to finish packing our stuff and clean the house. The kids were getting tired of each other and fighting more and more. We eventually just gave them each their movie players and sent them to the car so that we could get done in time. Cleaning proved to be a bit more work than we'd anticipated (probably because we ended up leaving the place considerably cleaner than we found it), but we got out pretty close to on time. We parked the car in line for the ferry and went to say our farewells to Ärö with ice cream. I love Danish soft serve ice cream, and this was the best yet!

The ferry ride was quite scenic, and as a special treat, we happend to pass the Danish Royal Yacht shortly before we got into port. The drive back to the airport went smoothly, then my daughter and I took the train back to Sweden where my husband picked us up.

2 comments:

Maestro said...

I like the picture of the little beach shacks :-)

Solvej said...

I was very surprised to see the people drinking beer at that time of day, that is really unusual, coffee would have been a lot more common.

I think your pictures a absolutely beautiful. I can't believe that we where so lucky with the weather.