Thursday, August 20, 2009

Surprise!

The evening after I got home from vacation, my husband came up to me and said, "I got something for you." He takes me out to the barn (where he said he'd stashed my car) and I see something covered with a car cover. He got me a car cover, I think to myself, not likely to use that. Then he pulls it up and I see something white--my car's not white. Wait, my car's not a Mercedes either. He reveals a 1972 Mercedes 350 SL convertible. WTF, he bought another car! We have more than enough cars already! We don't even have room to park them all! What was he thinking?!!! My business is way down, and even worse, his contract runs out next month and they have not told him if they plan to renew it or not. It's not like we have money to burn.

"It's just what you always wanted," he said. I was still in shock. "Um, thank you," I mutter. Now it's my fault in some way. It's true that I have always liked the Mercedes SLs, but I test drove one when we lived in SD and was very disappointed. It looks like a cute little sports car, but it drove like a tank. I also made the mistake of admiring one at a classic car show this summer. That brought up the discussion that while the 1960's and earlier models (as well as the 1980's and later models) were expensive, there were still bargains to be found among the 1970's models. I considered this an abstract discussion since there were at least a hundred good reasons why we weren't going to buy another car anytime in the forseeable future.

"I got it for you since I didn't really get you a real birthday present." He got me a lens for my birthday. It was exactly the lens I wanted, and I was happy with it. OK, it's not exactly a romantic gesture to buy me a birthday present on the company, but I'd long since given up on such.

The car needed some work, among other things a gas pedal. Last week he obtained the gas pedal, and last weekend he installed installed it, so I was out of excuses. I took the car out on Tuesday. I guess this is where I'm just not a car-guy. It drove ok. I thought the enormous steering wheel was a bit wierd, and I felt there was a bit of play in the steering. I heard all sorts of funny noises. I didn't feel so comfortable with my daughter in the front seat (there is no back seat, but there's no airbag either). Really, I'd rather just drive my regular car. It's not as cool, but it's just fine.

So what am I supposed to do with this thing? If I don't love it and drive it at least occasionally, my husband's feelings will be hurt.

2 comments:

Solvej said...

Hmm, what to day.... Congrats or something???

I would have been SOOO mad, and not quietly :-)

Have you considered just being honest and tell him how you feel about the car???

Maestro said...

Hmmmm... well here's what I'd do. I would have a discussion and say how I really felt.... *however* I'd also make a HUGE deal about the gesture itself, and express how touched I was that they would bend over backwards to acquire something they thought I REALLY wanted.

Like, if Mrs. Maestro did something like that for me (which isn't likely since I'm the one who does the impulse buying, but that's not the point.) I'd say "Aww sweetie that's sooooo nice. But we have to sell it; we can't really afford it and besides, I'm not as hooked on the car as you think." Then I'd probably cook her a nice meal and give her a foot massage or something.