Wednesday, September 2, 2009

To Margaret Ann Cole with love Uncle Lloyd

That's what was written on the inside of my violin. I always thought it was very special because it was hand made even if it really wasn't the world's greatest instrument. I started playing the violin in third grade, but I don't remember when my parents bought me this violin. I know I had it with me to summer camp which started for me the summer after seventh grade and continued every summer through high school.

I stopped playing the violin regularly after high school. I wasn't good enough to play in the La Jolla Symphony, and I wasn't dedicated enough to play in college (where you didn't have to be a music major, but you did have to take a music theory class that was 5 days a week at 8 AM--not compatible with either my academic schedule or my sleep schedule.) By the time we moved to Sweden, I hadn't played in about 10 years. I didn't have time to deal with selling it, so I gave it back to my mom to sell.

Now I wonder whatever became of it. Who has it now? Did it get refinished, or does it still have the melt marks in the varnish from when it accidentally got left in the sun at summer camp?

This has been on my mind because today I rented two violins: one for me, and a 1/4 sized one for my daughter. She started music lessons last week and is really excited about playing the violin. I hope she's not too disappointed to discover that it's not easy to fiddle and dance at the same time like the girl in Celtic Woman. I feel like this in when I start living vicariously through her. Maybe if she keeps it up, she'll go to music camp someday too.

5 comments:

Maestro said...

Wow, that last part was really powerful. I try to imagine what it might be like to sign Cameron up for Rocky Pines... who knows, maybe he won't even be a music kid.

So, how hard was it to pick up the violin again?

Anonymous said...

Mom did not sell your violin. She kept it for the longest time until she really ran out of space in her only closet in the condo, so she took it Assistence League Costa Mesa,a thrift shop that supports a dental center for the low income in the community
I am so pleased you and Lina are playing together!
The reward will be for you both!
Love,Mom

Meggie Sophiara Ann Cole said...

I am Margaret Ann Cole. I watched my Uncle Lloyd make violins for the Seattle Symphony Orchestra. My mom wanted me to have the best violin she could afford and presented this violin to me on my tenth birthday. I was stunned.

It has a pine top and solid maple back, not matchbook like most, and real ebony fingerboard and pegs. He imbedded a 24k gold treble clef sign in the tail piece, and little gold balls adorned the pegs and end piece. The f-holes were hand-carved, as was the neck and scroll. The back he carved as well and played it with a bow like a violin to get it to "sing" a certain note before he judge the back to be done.

A child was never supposed to have a violin like that. And my mom was stupid enough to buy an instrument way beyond her means, and before I showed any commitment whatsoever. I had just started my lessons, for chrissake. I'm pretty sure Grandpa, Great Uncle Lloyd's brother, helped Mom foot the bill.

I don't know if the dark wine cloth casing came with it, but you probably noticed the gouge in the case between the hinges. That was where it rested in my bike basket. I took that violin everywhere.

Then I got married and a year later moved to Tustin, California. One rainy day when I came home after working at Carl's Jr., I found the front door open and the avocado green carpet soaked. Who ever broke into our cheap little apartment must have been disappointed. They only thing they took was the violin in the coat closet. It was gone. I looked EVERYWHERE. I never thought to file a police report or call pawn shops, I was that naive. It was hard to take. I had just started playing in the Calvary Chapel orchestra and was really getting into it.

I didn't play for 20 years, a lot of resentment there, being coerced into playing violin with a monumental purchase that would tolerate no argument or pleading or rebellion.

The place I work at now plays classical music constantly, and it often drives me crazy. I am now wishing I could get back into it...I dream of joining the Cincinnati Orchestra. I still have 66 music books from all my lessons....now why would I still be carrying that around all this time??

But yet I keep holding back.

The thing that killed me was I had begged and begged for ballet lessons, and was really hoping to get them (finally) for my tenth birthday. Then she gave me this hyper-expensive violin, instead. I was crushed. But Grandpa didn't see how dancing ballet "glorified the Lord." He was a preacher, but it doesn't seem read his bible much.....

Meg

Lantis Lani said...

Meg, if you see this, I'd love to know more. First of all, I'm amazed by the wonders of the internet. There must be a story behind how you found this post. I never dreamed that my sentimental musings would find their way back to you. I wish I had known how special this instrument was.

When I had your violin, it did not have any gold on the tail piece or pegs. Also, the case was probably new, or at least close to new. It was black and violin shaped (as opposed to rectangular), but I don't recall what color the interior was.

I hope the story doesn't end here. Maestro, you have connections in the area. Perhaps you could put the word out that I'd like to know who has this violin now?

Meggie Sophiara Ann Cole said...

Lantis,
oh my gosh i didn't expect you to reply. I'm so sorry I didn't see this until now. I'm sitting here looking at violins on craigslist wishing I could play again, but this time with a quality instrument. My theory is that no one would take that violin, there were several things wrong with it, probably unfixable without removing the belly, so he put some fancy stuff on it and sold it to someone who didn't know any better, a 10 year old was going to play it, after all. All my teachers complained about that violin.
But these days I play Thais in my head,shifting into 3rd position, then fifth, imagining a ballerina dancing with a scarf her lover gave her... I am getting up the nerve to walk into the string shop in town and pull one of them out of the case and play it....it's such a shame they don't get played. It looks like you haven't added to this blog for a few years so you'll probably never see this :(
Meggie