Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's time to say the F-word.

I've been avoiding it all summer. I've noticed that people talk about preparing for winter, but they don't talk about fall. I know I've been trying not to think about it and refusing to say the word. But that's it. I just can't hold on to my delusions anymore. I have to admit that it is fall. In fact, it was fall already last weekend. I should have taken the hint when the flowers on my chrysanthemum plant succumbed to frost, but I let that slide. I neglected to acknowledge the autumnal equinox. I pretended not to notice that the leaves were changing color. This morning there was frost everywhere. I even had to scrape my car. That was the last straw. Fall has fallen.

My husband got back from Phoenix yesterday, where it was 108 F (42 C). Here it was sunny and clear but windy and only 50 F (10 C). The cement floor has been replaced in the front room, but the radiator system still can't be hooked up. I've been having fires in the bedroom fireplace almost every evening, and I've changed to the winter weight bedding. It's time to put away the summer clothes and get out the winter clothes. Every day it gets darker and colder, and while the weather's really quite nice (like a crisp and clear winter day in California) I can feel it getting me down.

1 comment:

Solvej said...

I feel your pain, literally!