Sunday, May 16, 2010

Budapest, day 1: Sweden to Dresden

With our daughter in her grandmother's care for the week, my husband and I left Saturday morning for Budapest. Since it's a 14 hour drive, we decided to take it over 2 days. We left home at 9 AM, which gave me about 4.5 hours sleep after photographing a wedding the day before. We drove through Denmark and took the ferry from Gedser to Rostock (Germany) then drove via Berlin to Dresden. We had estimated that we'd make it hopefully as far as Berlin, possibly as far as Prague, and Dresden was in between, so that was pretty good. It was raining the whole way, sometimes so hard we could hardly see the car in front of us. This made for rather limited sightseeing, but I'd seen the part as far as Berlin just last December. My husband was also a bit disappointed since the rain dampened his autobahn experience. If it hadn't been for the rain, we would have made it to Prague.

My only experience with Eastern Europe was Berlin, both in 1989 and 2009, so I was really looking forward to seeing more of it on this trip.

It stopped raining shortly before we arrived in Dresden around 6 PM. We drove around for a while before we eventually found a vacant room at the Holiday Inn in the Bohemian part of town. The room was expensive but very nice, and at least parking and breakfast were included. We walked to the area where there are a lot of restaurants and finally settled on Italian. I ordered pasta with fresh asparagus and salmon, and my husband ordered lasagna. He inadvertently got the spinach lasagna, and while he was able to eat it despite hating spinach, I traded with him half way through. I thought both dinners were absolutely delicious!

Dresden was a lovely city, and I'd like to go back. I'd thought Dresden had pretty much been destroyed during WWII, so I was very much surprised by the fantastic architecture. Could all of this been rebuilt since 1989, or did the East Germans have better taste than I'd given them credit for? I'd rather imagined a city dominated by soulless cement high-rises (kind of like Malmö), and while some of the city was modern, it reminded me pleasantly of a cross between Wurtzburg and Berlin. There were many gorgeous huge homes, probably from the turn of the century, and most had been or were being restored to their former glory. Some had been replaced by modern structures, but the character of the neighborhood remained.

No comments: