Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of School

Monday was my daughter's first day of school. It's kindergarten, but it's a big deal since she's changing schools. She used to go to daycare/preschool at the local public school, but now she's starting at the Montessori school. She's very happy about this since many of her friends (who are a year older) already go to this school. At this school they have kindergarten, first, and second grades together in the same class with a total of 24 kids, 2 teachers, and one assistant. I am hoping that she will soon catch up with her older friends since kids start school a year later in Sweden than they do in the US, and I can't help feeling that she's behind.

When I dropped her off, all the other "new" kids stood together with their parents, and the parents were invited to come in for a while. I was prepared to do this, but Lina didn't want me to. I was almost a little disappointed, but I was not surprised. Of course she had a good time, but as usual, she didn't give us many details. She was proud to say that she helped to comfort the kids who were sad.

To top off the first day of school experience, she got sent home with a pile of paperwork and extra homework for Mommy. That's right, today she had to bring in pictures from her summer vacation for "show and tell." Luckily I'm only a couple of months behind when it comes to dealing with our personal pictures, so I able to print out about a dozen pictures for her.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Sounds like a great school. Is it a private or public school? I know that here Montessori schools are private - how about in Sweden?

Lantis Lani said...

Yes, Tammy, it is a "private" school, but that works differently here. I guess it's kind of like the voucher system. The tax "dollars" follow the kid to whatever school they choose, and it does not cost extra. What is different from the public school is that the parents do have to help with projects around the school a few times per year, and the kids are not entitled to ride the school bus.