Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A hole in the head


My husband needs another car like a hole in his head. We already have six. Not even two months ago I was celebrating that he finally got rid of one and a half cars (by half I refer to a carcass which has never been confused with a functional vehicle). Well, It didn't take long for the vacuum created by the absence of these cars to get the better of him, so last weekend he came home with this: a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado. The idea is that it will be a project for him to work on together with our daughter. This isn't quite as crazy as it seems since she actually has some mechanical aptitude and does like cars, Cadillacs in particular, and we do occasionally go cruising or to car shows. So while this car is hideously ugly at the moment, it does have the potential to be the ultimate cruising car. It is, after all, the last of the great land yachts.

Will the car be usable in time for next spring's cruising season? He thinks so, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The car that he recently sold was one that we bought eight years ago that was supposed to be my daily driver. It only needed a couple weeks work first....

It seems weird to be thinking about spring already, but summer is already drawing to a close. The local public pool closes on Sunday, then school starts on Monday. (My daughter's really excited and looking forward to starting kindergarten at a new school.) This time of year is called "late summer." The weather is unstable, and rain is frequent. Nights are distinctly cooler, and daytime highs are lower. Nights are dark enough to see stars already by the time we go to bed. As always, I'm hoping for a prolonged "Indian summer" and fearing that what I consider to be summer weather may already be done for the year. Sigh....

NOTE to my FLICKR friends: I've uploaded pictures of my daughter and her friends at the amusement park. If you're not on Flickr but would like to be or would like to see the pictures anyhow, just let me know.

1 comment:

Maestro said...

Sounds like your husband collects cars like I collect electronic toys. I took advantage of my wife's trip to Thailand to upgrade my home entertainment system to a blu ray player. Hopefully she won't mind. Much.