Saturday, February 6, 2010

7 Tulips

The other day when grocery shopping, I bought myself a bunch of lovely purple tulips. I rarely indulge in fresh flowers, but tulips are my favorite, and they were on sale. I put them in a nice glass pitcher on the kitchen table and felt quite pleased with myself.

My cats must have felt something different along the lines of, "Yum, my favorite treat!" As soon as I left the room, I heard a funny munching noise then the sound of cats scampering across the floor with such enthusiasm that they were losing traction. At first glance, the tulips looked okay, but when I looked more carefully, one stem had been decapitated. Under the table were a few small petals and some pollen (and some other stuff not related to this, but let's not go there).

After dinner, I moved the tulips to the living room where we were watching TV. As we were getting ready for bed, I heard the telltale sound again. The cats scattered when I entered the room, and the munching sound resumed from behind the sofa.

I locked the tulips in the pantry over night, and the next day put them on my desk while I was working. I took a break to shovel snow (the stairwell down to the basement was literally full, and I needed to do laundry), and when I came back, there were tulip "guts" on my desk.

I now have 7 tulips safely stashed in the pantry where nobody can enjoy them.

(More on Florida soon. I'm working on my pictures from the Everglades now.)

No comments: