Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Florida, day 6: Riding

Thursday was my mom's last day in the area, so we spent the day with her. When I arrived at my step-sister's house, my mom and daughter were getting ready to go swimming at the YMCA. I really don't like swimming anymore, so I chose to go to Walmart instead. I'd bought jeans at Walmart in Montreal and absolutely loved them, so I was hoping to find another pair. Unfortunately they did not carry that brand in Florida, but I found plenty of other good stuff.

Long after the designated time, we were still waiting for my mom to get back to the house. Finally a police officer called my mom's husband. My mom had gotten lost and forgotten her phone, but she found someone to ask for help. He was from the next town over and wasn't particularly helpful or familiar with the area, so we tried to give her directions. A while later, we got another such call. Finally she did make her way to the local supermarket, where we met her and led her home. That was a traumatic and time consuming experience, so she rested when we went out.

Before our trip, I'd asked Lina what she wanted to do in Florida. She'd answered swim and ride horses. Swimming was easy enough to arrange, and it just so happens that my step-sister has horses. She and I took the kids to go see Tess (the other was injured). Lina was thrilled to help with the grooming, and Tess was a beautiful and gentle full-sized horse. After a short warm-up, Lina got to ride for a little while, then it was Mitch's turn. I got to hold Chase while Kristin was busy with Tess, but even holding an adorable one-year-old did not trigger any maternal instincts in me. One kid is plenty for me.

Kristin said Lina had good balance and timing, and Lina was thrilled. Next, Kristin took Lina to get her nails done. As the mom of two boys, this was special for both her and Lina. I went along, but there was only one manicurist available, so Lina was the only one to get her nails done. I enjoyed visiting with Kristin. Our parents married when I was already away at college, so we have not spent much time together over the years. Lina chose a sparkly purple color and was unbelievably careful with her nails until they had dried completely. I was impressed how well Lina behaved. On the very rare occasion that I get a manicure, I always manage to mess it up before it dries.

Mitch had soccer practice, so Lina and I went out to dinner at a near by Italian restaurant with my mom. We had a nice time at dinner, and the food was good. It seemed like time had gone so quickly that our visit was already over.

No comments: