Friday, February 26, 2010

Florida, day 13: Last day in the Keys

We were sad to leave our little bungalow at the marina and head back towards civilization today. It had been so lovely in the Keys that I really wanted to stay longer. However, we had all day to enjoy the Keys on our way out.

Our first stop was Bahia Honda State Park. I'd read about this, and I'm glad we got to see it. The visitor center had interesting information about the old railroad bridge which was completed 1912 and destroyed by a hurricane in 1935. The trail out to the bridge went through the native vegetation which was also nice to see up close.

We then walked along the beach where my daughter collected shells and bits of coral.

Eventually we had to tear ourselves away and hit the road again. We'd heard there may be a place that rented sailboats on Islamorada, so we stopped at the visitor's center there. It was true! My husband rented a Hobie-cat and took our daughter sailing. There was no way I was attempting another boat, so I enjoyed my book on the beach. This was the first time my daughter had been sailing, and she loved it.

We left the keys and stayed at a motel in Florida City/Homestead since our flight was the next morning, and we didn't want to be more than an hour from the airport. I repacked and weighed our suitcases, then we headed out for a final round of shopping at our favorite stores: Harbor Freight Tools and Target.

No comments: